Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Blog Sabbatical Over



 Wow. That was quite the blog sabbatical. Four months of negligence, but my excuses are stellar. As you can see by the photo above, I was consumed with my part time modeling job. I was also finishing my last semester at the University of Illinois. It only took forty years to wrap up what I started there in 1976. Our grain bin house continues to evolve, new pictures coming very soon, and the past few weeks have been spent putting in vegetable and fruit gardens. Keith did most of that hard work as I was swamped with the ever important Italian verb conjugations, American Literature Post 1914 essay deadlines, Western Civilization exams and Shakespeare production analysis papers. But now, I am three days post graduation, and have reclaimed my previous manure-prenure position.

Just before walking down that blue and orange aisle, I allowed my nursing license to go "inactive." Not as easy a task as I thought it might be. Over thirty years in healthcare flashed before my droopy lidded eyes as I stared at that question on the State of Illinois License Registration Renewal Page. Active?  Inactive? Active?  Inactive? I finally decided that if I was going to take my new career seriously, I needed to say goodbye to the old one. It also cost $40 to renew my license and nothing to let it lapse. Decision made.

In the spirit of all these new beginnings I have removed my old photo from this blogs home page.  Like my nursing license, I was sad to see her go.  She was younger, thinner, brunette-ier  (yes, brunette-ier, my major was creative writing not English)  and replaced her with the current me who is older, wider and greyer. Today I turn 57 and I'm looking forward to all the future holds.

So, bite me, AARP, and please remove my name from your mailing list, retirement is a dirty word here on The Poor Farm.





24 comments:

  1. I thought you might be busy with studies. It will be great to put it behind you now! At least the studying part - creative writing will always be practised. I look forward to seeing, what's been happening in your neck of the woods soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly Happy Birthday, and secondly Congrats on graduating. Now go and muck-out those Pigs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Cro! So happy to see your face. Now I'm off to your blog!

      Delete
  3. Firstly Happy Birthday, and secondly Congrats on graduating. Now go and muck-out those Pigs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You again? Or am I just seeing double? Is this thing on?

      Delete
  4. Many Happies - hope it's a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a fab birthday. I figure I got twenty good years to nail this new writing career...or not. Life is full of surprises

      Delete
  5. Complimenti on your graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Grad. Congrats on sticking it out and bringing home that diploma! Also congrats on not dying in the process so you could enjoy another birthday! Glad to know the hippies in the bin house are alive and well and up to sumpin'. Looking forward to some creative posting soon. As for the modeling job ... I declinabili to comment. *heh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it is good to hear you have survived your education. Now, get busy and do something constructive! Best wishes for a very happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha! How is you? (Like I keep saying, I'm a creative writing major, not an English major)

      Delete
  8. YAY!!! Congrats and welcome back. You were missed!! Love your picture by the way, hey I'm 51 now, we are only as old as we feel and I feel 30's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mot of the time I feel 16 and look 60 which means I have the maturity of a baboon. What can I say? I like banana's.

      Delete
  9. Hooray! Its done and we are all the better for it. Now you are officially qualified to make up as many amusing words as you desire. Happy Birthday and Congrats. Looking forward to photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda. Already I find myself double checking my blog entries so sure one of my professors is reading them and ready to send me the dreaded "opportunities for improvement" email.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, okay. Donna's got that posting part thing going again. Now let's see if she can remember how to respond to comments. Let's watch....

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to see your blog back in business! I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.