Saturday, November 26, 2016

Saponification Saturday

As promised I've got several more soaps to choose from if you are thinking about Christmas gifts. These last two weeks I've been playing with hot process soap making which involves a crock pot. The recipes are the same , lye solution plus various oils, but rather than pouring in a mold right away, where the saponification process takes place over several hours and cure time can take weeks, the hot process soap is "cooked" in the crock pot. 

This extra heat speeds up the saponification process, the soap is glopped into a mold as it is far too thick to pour,  and the soap is ready to use as soon as it cools. The cold process soaps are solid in appearance and the hot process soaps are more opaque, like this Peppermint number below:


When hot process soap is used it also takes on the appearance of stone or granite, especially when it is wet. Yes, the soap above and the soap below is the same bar. I have 8 Peppermint bars available. UPDATE: ONLY 6 LEFT.


Here is another hot process bar made with Alkanet for the deep purple color and Maddor root for the pick color. it is scented with Lavender and Geranium Rose, a sweet smelling bar. I have 8 lavender/Geranium Rose bars available. UPDATE: ONLY 4 LEFT.



If you prefer the look of cold process soap I've made more of the Eucalyptus scented ones, colored with three shades of green by using Nettle Leaf powder. The colors are subtle and range from a grey-green to yellow-green to a moss green. I have ten eucalyptus bars available.



Final offering this week is my Coffee Soap made by the Cold process method with dark coffee for the coloring and a blend of Cinnamon and Cedarwood for the scent. I added a few coffee grounds to the top layer for exfoliation. Again, this soap is great for chefs or gardeners and it cleans hands well and does an excellent job of removing scents like onion and garlic. I have 10 coffee bars available. UPDATE: ONLY 7 LEFT.



A reminder on how this works. Each bar has been made in a limited quantity and it's first come first serve, All are made with pure essential oils for fragrance, I never use fragrance oils and a combination of the following base oils depending on the soap bar: coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, shea butter, mango butter, rice bran oil. These are large, hefty bars weighing approximately 5.5 oz. each.  They are $5 each plus shipping. Email me at opies99@gmail.com if you need more info or wish to order. 

Thanks so much!

11 comments:

  1. You went to town, lady! I'll email you. I've discovered there's no such thing as too much soap for Christmas. The peppermint soap looks like bacon in the photo--tee hee. I wouldn't bite into it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does look "baconesque" but it smells WAY different! Thanks so much for your order Janie!

      Delete
  2. Your soaps look fantastic! Ms. Janie sent me over to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower from Janie. I believe I can smell your soaps from here (California) Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi popped over from Janie's blog, I like a good soap and these do look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo-Anne, that's three of you now all from Janie's blog. Quess I know what I'll be doing this week, droppping in to visit each of you. I prefer my coffee black and my cookies made with real butter.

      Delete
  5. Make it 4 from Janie's blog! She's good that way. Will be back for more. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! I'm glad I came back to check this post. I'm thrilled that four of my friends are now your friends. Love makes the world go round.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.